Monday 23 July 2012

Such a long time since I last posted and such a lot has happened. This season has been very strange and I feel that I have hardly been to any shows. The weather has been appalling, with torrential rain for days on end. There has been flooding everywhere and many shows cancelled due to waterlogged ground. I have only stayed in my caravan twice so far this year - it almost seems hardly worth having it ( but I do love my little caravan).  Anyway the sun is shining today and according to the weather forecast will do so for the next few days - Summer had eventually arrived but for how long. Perhaps we can get a few shows in.
We have had some results from the shows we have attended this year. Taz has been steadily improving and seems (seems) to be getting his weaves now. We have been here before only for it all to fall apart - I don't think I will ever take it for granted that he will get his weaves. His pole knocking also seems to be improving and in fact this weekend he only knocked 1 pole in 3 rounds. That is outstanding for him. He has had 2 x 2nd placings at UKA so I am really pleased.
Dylan is still doing well and has progressed to Champ level at UKA. This meant that we were able to compete in a Master's Class. Oh what fun that was. A complete disaster on my part, it really helps to remember where you are going. Dyl did some lovely work for me and if only I could run faster I'm sure we could better, but he doesn't know that it all went wrong. To be honest I think I get a little star struck. Greg Derrett was next in the queue behind me and to say that I felt a bit out of my depth is an understatement. Still this was my first one and things can only get better as I get more experience. We redeemed ourselves at out next show which was a k/c open. In the G5 jumping, I watched a beautiful, tight and fast round and entered the ring for our turn thinking that everyone was now running for 2nd. Dylan went really wide on a turn so I even thought we may have blown our chances at getting 2nd. Imagine my surprise and delight when I was called out in 1st. Then came our agility run, and once again Dylan managed a clear. It seemed a long wait for the results but we won that class as well. So in total Dyl has had 3 jumping wins and an agility win, well and truly putting him in grade 6.
Then it was off on holiday for me for nearly 2.5 weeks of glorious sunshine and lovely warm sea.
Our first show, after my return was at the new grade 6 and I was a bit nervous about it. Jumping was up first and we manged to get around the course although we had faults then came agility. When I walked the course my heart sank, you needed to layer the dog walk and although I allow layering in my handling system it's not something that I've had to do. Oh well in for a penny, in for a pound I had to give it a go. Dylan never even questioned it, he looked like it was something we had practised and practised and to my surprise and delight he went clear. I watched some more people run and thought what good runs they had had and that Dyl was moving down the placings each time., but I didn't care as all I'd wanted was that we could get round the course.  When it came time for the prize giving they called out the clear rounds and I was sure that I'd be in amongst them but I didn't know his number, so would collect his clear round rosette once the placings had been given. THEY CALLED OUT MY NAME IN FIRST PLACE!! I was soooooooo shocked and still am. He had won by 0.5sec which is quite a good margin. So first Grade 6 show and we have our first G6 agility win. 3 more wins to go (one of which must be agility) and we can be G7 - now that really would be a miracle!


I have more news. I have a puppy that we have named Marley.
(I have a Bob's Dylan so it seemed only right to have a Bob's Marley). When he arrived he was very laid back and quiet, he is now 6 months old and quite frankly a complete pain in the arse. It has not been love at first sight like it was with the other two but the bond between us is still growing. I think a lot of the trouble is that I keep comparing him to Dylan and Dyl is a very special dog, who is quick and keen to learn. Marley seems to learn OK but does things soooooo slowly. Oh well - he'll be what he'll be and at the moment that is a challenge. I will keep you updated on his progress (if any) so watch this space!!! He is blooming cute though isn't he?

No comments:

Post a Comment